Shaking off scathing audit, Visit Orlando nabs $100 million annual deal
Despite an unflattering audit that had exposed questionable spending, Visit Orlando won a renewed contract Tuesday from Orange County that likely ensures the tourism-promotion agency will continue receiving big piles of public money to spend on luring visitors.
The board voted 5-2 to accept a document that underwent extensive late changes and finally was sent by email at 11:13 p.m. Monday, after being signed earlier in the evening.
Commissioners Mayra Uribe and Kelly Martinez Semrad, the two “no” votes, grumbled about the late-hour delivery of the final draft, arguing they hadn’t had sufficient time to fully study terms imposing new restrictions on an agency that received more than $100 million in tourist-tax dollars in each of the last two years. The contract was first signed in 2019.
Frustrated, both said they had repeatedly sought earlier details of the changes.
But Comptroller Phil Diamond told the board the amended agreement addressed the findings of his auditing team, whose critical review of some Visit Orlando accounting and spending practices sparked the board’s discussion.